Sunday, October 8, 2017

Carpe Diem #1272 October (Robert Frost)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

I hope you have had a wonderful weekend. My weekend was awesome, we have met our "new" two grandkids, Jason and Dana. Our oldest son has a new girlfirend after he divorced from his former girlfriend. So we have two "bonus" grandkids now and that makes us happy. We are a loving family and we hope to become nice grandparents for these two "bonus" kids. So ... I had a wonderful weekend.

Today I have a nice anniversary episode for you to work with. As you know I have created several special features here at CDHK and one of those features was "CD-distillation" in which I challenged you to create haiku or tanka extracted from a longer poem. Back in our first anniversary month (October 2013) I had a nice poem by Robert Frost for you. That poem was titled "October" and I love to challenge you again with that same poem.

Logo CD Distillation
Let me explain the goal of this special feature, that's going into it's reprise today, for you. I have chosen a long poem by a renown poet. After reading the poem the goal is to create a haiku or tanka extracted from the poem, in which you have to try to catch the essence of the poem.

Here is the poem by Robert Frost (1874-1963) again:

October

by Robert Frost (1874-1963)           

O hushed October morning mild,
Thy leaves have ripened to the fall;
To-morrow's wind, if it be wild,
Should waste them all.
The crows above the forest call.
To-morrow they may form and go.
O hushed October morning mild,
Begin the hours of this day slow,
Make the day seem to us less brief.
Hearts not averse to being beguiled, 
Beguile us in the way you know;
Release one leaf at break of day;
At noon release another leaf;
One from our trees, one far away;
Retard the sun with gentle mist;
Enchant the land with amethyst.
Slow, slow!
For the grapes' sake, if they were all,
Whose leaves already are burnt with frost,
Whose clustered fruit must else be lost—
For the grapes' sake along the wall.

(Source: www.poets.org)

Autumn Colors (of October)
A wonderful poem, but for a haijin to long … so I have re-worked my cascading haiku into a tanka in which I catch the essence of the poem by Robert Frost.

at daybreak
one leaf falls and another –
bare branches
clothed with crystal drops of dew
at daybreak

© Chèvrefeuille

You can find the original post HERE. 

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until October 15th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our new episode, into the sea, later on. For now ... have fun and let me know if you would like to see this special feature back again at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai.


2 comments:

  1. Whoooooaaah! Love the new look, Chev. And the haiku is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://soundcloud.com/chaslin/october :)

    ReplyDelete