Friday, August 7, 2015

On The Trail With Basho Encore #11 drinking friends (humor)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Humor ... was, and is still, part of haiku. Basho also used humor in his haiku. However humor isn't something I use in haiku. In some of my haiku it's possible that there is a touch of humor, but I did that unconscious and not on purpose.

In our next “On The Trail With Basho Encore” – episode I have chosen a haiku in which Basho used humor very clearly. He has written this at Ryumon Falls at the southern foot of Mount Ryumondake in Yoshino, province of Nara. This is the area with Japan's most notable display of cherry trees. This verse uses a comparative technique: Basho is comparing how a person who is drunk stands (or doesn't stand) with the shape of a waterfall and with the way branches loaded with blossoms hang down. (Source: Jane Reichhold).

sake nomi ni    katara n kakaru    taki no hana

drinking friends
to talk I'll hang over like this
a waterfall of flowers

© Basho

Not a common (counted) verse in this translation by Jane Reichhold, but I think that's no problem. I myself don't count the syllables when writing my haiku.

A Waterfall of Flowers
To write a haiku by myself in the Spirit of Basho's and inspired on this haiku isn't easy, but I just have to try. I have written a few haiku in the sense and tone of this one by Basho. I only can hope that it has also a little bit of Basho's humor in it.

on the way home
drunken sailors bend over
to vomit

it's a strange sight
like a waterfall they fall
drunken sailors

Ah! that sight
a waterfall of flowers
when vomiting

© Chèvrefeuille

I hope you did like this “Encore” episode. I have decided to make “Encore” a bi-weekly feature on Friday. And as it is “Encore” there will be no Tan Renga Challenge. I hope you don’t mind that little change.

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until Friday 21st at noon (CET).


1 comment:

  1. luv the staggering juxtaposition in the Basho haiku chosen

    much love...

    ReplyDelete