Monday, September 1, 2014

Carpe Diem #552, Decay


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Autumn is coming in sight, we are waving goodbye to the summer and nature will start to renew, but before she can renew she have to decay. Decay is our prompt for today and I think it's a prompt especially for autumn. Mother Nature changes her clothes and in a few months she will wear all kinds of colors until the last leaves fall and the first snow will fall.

I remember a haiku which I once wrote in response on the photo challenge of Magpie Tales and I love to share that haiku here again:

decomposed flowers
silent witness of a relative
red tear-stained eyes


© Chèvrefeuille (2012)

Decomposing and decay are synonymous to each other and therefore I think this haiku fits this post very well. Of course this haiku isn't written for autumn, so I have to write another haiku, but first I will share the haiku by Jane Reichhold which she used as an example for decay:

recycling old glass
the rocky beach
jewel-covered coves


windless surf
how easily the old folks
are entertained
worn-down hills
folding into earth
an old dog sits


© Jane Reichhold 



I don't really see the 'decay' in these examples, but maybe that has to do with the fact that I am not that familiar with English. But I like these haiku a lot. Jane is in my opinion one of the best haiku-poets of our time ...


the scent of autumn
that sweet smell of decaying leaves -
after the rain - stronger


© Chèvrefeuille

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until September 4th at noon (CET). I will post our next episode, a new Ghost Writer post, later on. For now, have fun, be inspired and share your haiku with us all.


6 comments:

  1. With your haiku you have brought the scent of autumn right to the door, Kristjaan.
    Also strong imagery, created by the haiku of J.Reichhold and that..."edginess" that can be noticed in her haiku rather often. At least it feels that way to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the decay is different in all those examples.. the glass to sand and the decay of age

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoy Reichhold but I also feel that your haiku hits the spot!
    This was another fine prompt .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hamish,, I couldn't get in to your blog long enough to comment but I loved the haiku

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful post -- and I love how you've really added a punch of scent in your haiku -- the strong scent of leaves! BUT -- I also had to tell you how much I like September's logo. Looks so much like my childhood memories of the mountains here .... ahhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love 'after the rain', stronger ~ wonderful line and haiku and so true ~ happy week to you!

    artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete